What are the Health Benefits of Peanuts?
While not actually nuts – rather they are referred to as legumes – peanuts fall, nonetheless, under "nuts" in most people's minds. They are, in fact, the most popular nut worldwide (though strictly in America, that spot is held by almonds).
As far as uses for peanuts go, many people simply prefer them as is, and lightly salted. Whether they are in the shell or already out of the shell, these nuts can be found at baseball games, in pubs and other types of watering holes, in vending machines, and in the homes of millions. It's little wonder! They are delicious and nutritious.
The list of nutrients found in peanuts is lengthy, indeed, including the following:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
- Pantothenic acid
But our lists here are not done. The health benefits of peanuts are abundant as well and can include the following:
- Peanuts are considered heart healthy.
- Incredibly beneficial for your body, antioxidants can be found in peanuts.
- For certain individuals, they may be able to help lower cholesterol.
- Because they are gluten-free and cholesterol-free, many prefer these nuts to other snacks.
- An incredibly high source of protein.
Fun Fact about Peanuts: Though found in numerous types of foods, and thoroughly enjoyed by themselves, peanuts have some extraordinarily surprising uses as well. They can be found in the following:
- Skin lotion
- Shaving cream
- Wood stains
Whether you include nuts in cooking or simply like to grab a handful for a snack, peanuts are one of the best choices you can make.